Stability issues are rare on the Nintendo Switch, but the recent firmware 12.0.3 is one of the few cases where an update causes a widespread bug on the console. Many users report receiving the error code 2123-1502 when trying to download or update games from the eShop, preventing them from downloading any software. Nintendo briefly halted the firmware rollout to try and fix the bug, but it appears the issue persists for some users.
Fortunately, there are a few workarounds that can fix error 2123-1502 on your Switch.
Check your wifi network
The first potential solution is simple:
- Make sure you are connected to the correct wifi network under System settings> Internet> Internet settings> [connection name] > Connect to this network.
- Turn off the switch completely (press and hold the power button for three seconds, then select Power Options> Shut Down).
- Restart the Switch and try to download again.
Clear your cache
If these preliminary steps don’t work, Nintendo Customer Service suggests clearing your Switch user profile cache to resolve the issue. This will clear your console’s web history, including cookies and saved website connections, but it will not affect your games, downloaded content, user settings, or save data.
- Go to System settings> System> Formatting options.
- To select “Reset cache.”
- Select the profile for which you want to reset the cache.
- Select “Reset” to perform the reset.
- Repeat for all user profiles on the console.
Use Google’s DNS settings
Another potential solution reported by some users is to change your Switch console’s DNS settings to Google DNS in wifi settings.
- Go to System settings> Internet> Internet settings.
- Select your wifi network from the list of networks.
- To select “Modify the parameters.”
- Scroll down and change DNS settings at “Manual.”
- Set your primary DNS address to 22.214.171.124
- Set your secondary DNS address to 126.96.36.199
- To select “Save.”
- Go back and try the download again.
If that doesn’t work or somehow creates new connection problems, go back to network settings and change DNS settings to “Automatic.”
Retry the download
The last DIY solution is to simply try the download again until it works. Some users claim to have successfully overcome error 2123-1502 this way, so give it a try, just note that it will only work on this specific download. The same error message is likely to appear for other downloads as well.
Again, since the bug is rooted in firmware 12.0.3, these are only temporary fixes. The bug could persist until Nintendo finds a fix and releases another fix.