Skip to content
Gun used in Buffalo supermarket shooting was legally purchased but modified, governor says

The weapon used in the Buffalo shooting was obtained legally but later modified with “illegal magazines” available for sale in other states such as Pennsylvania, city governor Kathy Hochul said Sunday.

Magazines used in the attack are not authorized for sale in New York, officials said.

An 18-year-old white New York man opened fire at a Tops Friendly supermarket in Buffalo on Sunday, killing at least 13 people, 11 of whom were black, Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said.

Calling the shooter a ‘white supremacist’, Ms Hochul said he terrorized New York’s second-largest city in a ‘military-style’ ‘cold-hearted execution’ while people bought produce. grocery store.

“It strikes us to the bottom of our hearts to know that there is such evil lurking out there,” she said.

“This individual – this white supremacist – who has just committed a hate crime against an innocent community, will spend the rest of his life behind bars. And may heaven help him also in the other world,” the governor said.

“Tonight my heart is with my neighbors in Buffalo who are feeling unimaginable pain because of a white supremacist. We will be there for the families affected by this act of terrorism,” she wrote on Twitter.

She added: “And we will ensure that law enforcement has what they need to pursue the shooter to the fullest extent possible.”

The suspect – Payton Gendron of Conklin in New York – was charged with murder and was brought before a judge in a white paper robe shortly after making a shooting.

A video clip shot by the alleged shooter showed Payton entering the supermarket in a car.

Just outside the market premises he shot four people – three of them fatally shot – and went inside after which several shots were heard, police commissioner Gramaglia said.

Several shots were fired by market security officer Aaron Salter, a retired former Buffalo police officer, the commissioner said.

However, the bullet hit Payton’s body armor and had no effect.

The shooter then shot the guard and entered the store, killing other victims.

Minutes later, police entered the store and confronted Payton, but he put the gun to his own neck.

Two officers managed to convince him to surrender and drop the gun, the commissioner said.

The Independent Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.