Usa News

Good Samaritans hailed as heroes after saving girl from kidnapper at Hawaii restaurant

A 15-year-old girl who was abducted at knifepoint in Hawaii last week was rescued over the weekend by a restaurant host and customer who sprang into action after stabbing her recognized in local news reports.

Mikella DeBina and her boyfriend were on a secluded beach in the Anaehoomalu Bay area near Waikoloa Beach Drive when a man held them at knifepoint and forced the girl to tie up her boyfriend and put a blindfold on him, the victim’s aunt told the police.

She was later abducted by Duncan Mahi, 52, police said. Mahi brought DeBina to the beach parking lot where she was forced into a white Honda SUV. The man also forced the girl to smoke methamphetamine and sexually assaulted her, investigators said. After being forced to smoke meth a second time, DeBina pretended to sleep for the remainder of the drive to Mahi’s home, KITV reported.

Mahi then led DeBina to a yellow school bus where the suspect clamped a brown fabric armband to her leg, allowing only three and a half feet of movement.

More from NextShark: Chinese Ambassador calls on Chinese Americans to improve China-US relations: ‘No egg remains intact when the nest is knocked down’

An AMBER alert was issued after local media shared an image of DeBina.

The teenager and her alleged abductor stopped by Cafe Pesto in downtown Hilo the next day when restaurant host Bridge Hartman sensed something was wrong. Hawaii News Now reported.

DeBina was dressed in men’s clothing and started fighting with Mahi in an alley near the restaurant. Another witness tried to intervene when he heard the girl yelling at the man to let her go. Mahi claimed that DeBina was her daughter and told the witness: “What are you doing ? Get out of my way!”

More from NextShark: 20-year-old man charged with hate crimes for attacks on 2 Sikh men in New York

That’s when Hartman yelled, “That’s the girl. This is the AMBER Alert girl.

Kori Takaki, who was having lunch at Café Pesto with her mother, also rushed to the aid of the young girl. The two good Samaritans were waiting with DeBina at the back of the restaurant.

Hartman encouraged other patrons to hold Mahi down until authorities arrived as DeBina was moved away from the suspect, who left after being asked to prove DeBina was his daughter. A witness was able to capture photos of his license plate and the white Honda CRV. The teenager and the witness were able to identify Mahi from a series of photos.

More from NextShark: Hairstylist who decorated ‘house of flowers’ to honor fellow Vietnamese refugees found murdered in Cleveland garage

The girl has since been reunited with her family and her mother, Cher Angelel, is grateful to everyone who stepped in to help her daughter. She hailed Takaki and Hartman as heroes.

“I’m just happy to be home and know everyone is safe,” Takaki said. KHON2. “It was quite an emotional day. Yes, a lot of emotions.

More from NextShark: TikTok user confronts man who allegedly tore down anti-Asian hate flyers in Mountain View

Mahi was arrested at around 3 p.m. Sept. 17 on Hale Manu Drive in Hilo and charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, terrorism threats, robbery, and methamphetamine trafficking in connection with the case, according to the Hawaii Police Department.

At the time of the alleged abduction, Mahi was on probation in connection with a September 2018 incident in which he was found guilty of strangling and abusing a woman and threatening responding police officers. , reported the Sun.

He did not appear in court on August 16 for a traffic violation. Mahi also failed to show up for his August 31 hearing into the September 2018 incident, according to court documents. A warrant for his arrest was issued on September 13, three days before he abducted DeBina.

Mahi’s rap sheet dates back to 1989. He has faced charges in criminal court eight times, as well as 12 traffic charges and violations, four domestic violence charges, two issues in court for family and a divorce, according to court documents. Some of the cases, such as the domestic violence charges, were eventually dropped without any explanation in court papers. The September 2018 criminal case was reopened after he violated his release.

Mahi is being held on $2 million bond.

Image selected via Hawaii Police Department (left), Facebook (right)

yahoo-skynews Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button