Skip to content
Former Premier League referee Clattenburg explains why Amartey escaped VAR penalty in Crystal Palace game

Ghanaian’s penalty breakaway in Leicester’s draw against Eagles sparked controversy

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg thinks Leicester City Defender Daniel Amartey was fortunate enough to have escaped with a handball incident in the penalty bench during Monday’s Premier League encounter with Crystal palace.

TV reruns showed the ball hitting Amartey’s hand as he disputed an aerial ball with Christian Benteke during the second half.

The referee did not penalize the Ghanaian while his video assistant referees did not spot the incident, much to the dismay of Palace players Benteke and Cheikhou Kouyate.

The match ended in a 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park as Harvey Barnes (Leicester) and Wilfried Zaha (Palace) scored to be canceled.

“It’s really interesting because you can understand how the referee missed him at the start,” Clattenburg said, as reported. Talksport.

“But Crystal Palace will be really disappointed because when the ball comes in, Benteke intervenes with Amartey. Amartey’s hand came out but it’s actually [Cheikhou] Kouyate who appealed.

“Therefore, the VAR [Robert Jones] should have checked automatically because the ball is out of play.

“But from the camera behind the goal, I was like ‘is this a potential penalty for handball?’ So the VAR should have checked it.

“He didn’t because within 20 seconds of Benteke directing him to Kasper Schmeichel taking the goal kick, the ball was back in play so it was not checked. There was not enough time.

“I think he should have taken his time and used all the evidence available. From the angle of the camera we can see Amartey’s hands are above his shoulder and he’s clearly done it by hand.

Fit-again Amartey lasted the duration of Monday’s game where he was deployed at center-back alongside Jonny Evans.

It was his fourth Premier League appearance of the season and his first start since returning from a hamstring injury sustained while in action against West Ham United in October.

The 26-year-old returned from a long-term injury just before the start of the season, having been on the sidelines since his ankle injury, coincidentally against West Ham, in a league game in October 2018.


Source link