Albuquerque authorities said Monday that a former Republican candidate who lost his bid for a State House seat in November was arrested in connection with a series of recent shootings at the homes and offices of half a dozen residents. elected Democrats.
Albuquerque Police Department Chief Harold Medina told a press conference that former candidate Solomon Peña was ‘the mastermind’ behind a plot in which four other men were paid to shoot at homes two county commissioners and two state legislators.
Mr Peña lost the election in a landslide to an incumbent Democrat, Miguel Garcia, but refused to concede after making unsubstantiated allegations of electoral fraud.
Chief Medina said a gun found during the arrest of another suspect in last week’s shooting was later linked to Mr Peña.
No one was injured in the shooting at three residences, a workplace and a campaign office in Albuquerque. Three of the shootings took place in December and two this month, most recently on January 5.
After losing the election, Mr. Peña “reached out and hired someone for some cash to carry out at least two of the shootings,” said Kyle Hartsock, deputy commander of the homicide unit. of the police department, during the press conference. Mr Hartsock said there was evidence Mr Peña pulled the trigger in a shooting on January 3.
This is a developing story.