Skip to content
Ex-pope to be investigated for failure to prevent sexual abuse — RT World News

 |  Latest News Headlines

Ex-pope to be investigated for failure to prevent sexual abuse — RT World News

| Business News Today | Local News


Former Pope Benedict XVI and two other German cardinals accused of misconduct in new report on clerical abuse

German prosecutors have opened investigations into 42 cases of alleged misconduct by senior Catholic clerics in the country, including former Pope Benedict XVI, following the publication of a bombshell report into child sexual abuse in the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising.

The report, which was released on Thursday, blames the former pontiff for failing to prevent abuse by clerics during his tenure as Archbishop of Munich and Freising between 1977 and 1982. Then known as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, his alleged misconduct is related to four cases. of abuse.


Ex-pope to be investigated for failure to prevent sexual abuse — RT World News

 |  Latest News Headlines

Benedict XVI is one of three German cardinals accused of direct and personal misconduct in the report, which identified nearly 500 victims of sexual abuse and 235 alleged perpetrators dating from 1945 to 2019. His immediate successor in the archdiocese, Cardinal Friedrich Wetter has been linked to 21 cases of potential misconduct, while the current archbishop, Cardinal Reinhard Marx, is charged with formal misconduct in two cases.

The investigations of the Munich public prosecutor’s office “relates exclusively to church leaders who are still alive”, Anne Leiding, spokeswoman for the prosecutor’s office, told the dpa news agency. She added that the findings of the report had been “transmitted in a strictly anonymized format.”

Yes “suspicions are arising of potentially criminally relevant behavior by the church leaders in charge,” Leiding said the relevant documents would be requested from the law firm Westpfahl Spilker Wastl which was commissioned by the archdiocese to compile the report. If necessary, they will then be transmitted to the respective public prosecutor’s offices.

Following the revelations, Pope Francis pledged on Friday “Justice” to victims of abuse at the hands of members of the Catholic Church. However, he did not mention the report in his speech.

Benedict has long denied critics’ accusations of failing to act on the abuse, but the lawyers who prepared the report contradicted some of his claims. While some members of the Catholic Church hierarchy would have called on Benedict to “to take a position,” his supporters, including Cardinal Gerhard Ludwig Muller, reportedly said he “did not knowingly do anything wrong” and hinted that the former pontiff was being targeted for his Orthodox stance on religious doctrine.

Meanwhile, federal government spokeswoman Christiane Hoffmann said he had been “dizzy” through “the extent of the abuses and the subsequent treatment of these acts” in the report, adding that a “a full clarification and reassessment” was “now all the more urgent”.

You can share this story on social media:

Ex-pope to be investigated for failure to prevent sexual abuse — RT World News

| Breaking News Updates Fox news
rt Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.