A Kentucky boy has died after choking on a bouncing ball at school.
Eight-year-old Landon McCubbins began choking while in class at Boston School in Nelson County on November 21. He was immediately taken to a local hospital by firefighters conducting nearby drills and then airlifted to Norton Children’s Hospital, where he died.
“We never thought we would bury him,” his aunt, Emma McCubbins, told local media WHAS-TV. “We thought he would bury us all because that’s how it’s supposed to work.”
The school canceled classes on Monday, when Landon’s funeral is due to take place. Mental health resources were also made available to students coping with the tragedy.
“…Landon was deeply loved by his classmates and teachers,” principal Niki King wrote in a statement. “Our thoughts are with Landon’s family and friends. Please join us as we keep them in our prayers at this time of great loss.”
Landon’s family shared on Facebook that he “loves the big trucks” and asked members of the community to drive theirs from the funeral home to the church to honor the little boy.
“Every time I picked him up from school, he would tell me about all the trucks in the [pick -up line.] “Mom, look at those 2500,” he would say,” Landon’s mother, Lauren McCubbins, said.
Ms McCubbins added that first responders “did absolutely everything they could to save [her] baby”, and that no one was responsible for the tragic accident.
“The school staff, the Boston fire department, the police, the Flaget staff, the helicopter people and the [Kosair Charities] did everything they could to save him,” Ms McCubbins said in a post.
“Landon fought so hard and it just wasn’t enough. We cannot focus on what should have, should have, could have. We need to focus on Landon. This special, special boy.
The community raises funds to cover expenses for Landon’s family
The Independent Gt