Skip to content

eontay Wilder suffered a broken hand in his loss to Tyson Fury, but was released from the hospital.

Saturday’s heavyweight title fight saw both boxers hit the canvas before the Bronze Bomber was definitely defeated in the 11th round.

As Fury celebrated his second victory over the American in their trilogy of clashes, Wilder was taken from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas for precautionary checks.

Coach Malik Scott has confirmed that his fighter was able to leave the hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning with a broken hand and a severed lip.

Scott told ES News: “He’s fine, he’s in his room. I then took him to his room. He saw the doctor but everything is fine. He’s got a broken lip and broke his hand – broke his finger or his knuckle or something.

But former heavyweight star Scott has distanced himself from the incident and said he was impressed with Fury’s talent ahead of a possible unification clash next year. He’s also hoping to see Wilder, 35, take a step back from the ring after the grueling trilogy.

He said: “Life goes on, Fury, I guess, will get the [Oleksandr] Usyk shot which would be good. I really don’t want Deontay to talk about boxing or do anything with boxing for a while, I want him to rest after that.

“Even after the last fight he was so excited in training and was just excited and so happy with the refereeing, he never really rested. He deserves a good rest and we’ll make sure he gets it. I’m going to be heading to Tuscaloosa in a few days just to hang out with him.

Scott added: “I always said [Fury] is not good, it is very very good – damn close to great. After tonight, I will consider him a great fighter.

“Much respect to him, to SugarHill [Steward, Fury’s trainer], to all his family, his wife and his children.


Sports standard

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.