The Dallas Cowboys quietly paid $2.4 million to several cheerleaders who accused a former senior team official of voyeurism, according to a report released Wednesday.
The women accused Richard Dalrymple, former senior vice president of public relations and communications for the Cowboys, of slipping into their locker room at AT&T Stadium in 2015, ESPN reported, citing documents obtained by the sports network and people knowing the situation.
One of the accusing cheerleaders said she spotted Dalrymple behind a partial wall with her iPhone held out to them as the women changed clothes, the Sports Network reported, citing letters from the cheerleaders’ lawyers to the team.
The team official entered the locker room through a rear entrance and his security key card, ESPN reported according to the accusers.
The outlet reported that the settlement was reached in May 2016 after the cheerleaders visited the team’s human resources department before hiring attorneys.
A team source confirmed the details of the settlement to NBC Dallas-Fort Worth.
Dalrymple retired earlier this month but made no mention of sexual misconduct allegations.
Cowboys spokesman Jim Wilkinson said in a statement to NBC Dallas-Fort Worth that the team understands the seriousness of the allegations, calling them an “unfortunate incident.”
“The organization took these allegations very seriously and immediately conducted a thorough investigation into this matter. The investigation was conducted in accordance with best legal and HR practices and the investigation found no evidence of wrongdoing” , did he declare.
Wilkinson added, “If any wrongdoing had been discovered, Rich would have been fired immediately. Cheerleaders are a vital part of the Dallas Cowboys family, and in terms of settlement, the organization wanted to go above and beyond to ensuring that the cheerleaders knew that their allegations were taken very seriously and immediately investigated thoroughly.
NBC News could not immediately reach the cheerleaders’ attorneys or a representative for Dalrymple on Thursday.
In a statement to ESPN, Dalrymple denied the allegations.
“People who know me, colleagues, media and colleagues, know who I am and what I am,” the statement read. “I understand the very serious nature of these allegations and do not take them lightly. The accusations are however false.”