The Sunday Times and Mail on Sunday reported allegations of a ‘cash-for-honours’ deal at the Prince’s Foundation last year, the charity commissioned an independent investigation and Mr Fawcett resigned from his position. post of general manager.
Police said on Wednesday they had enough evidence to open a formal investigation into whether the foundation breached a 1925 law banning the sale of peerages or other royal honours. It uses the same unit that investigates whether social gatherings in Downing Street breached coronavirus lockdown restrictions.
If Scotland Yard uncovers evidence Charles knew of a potential quid pro quo, royal experts have said, it would pose a serious risk to the 73-year-old heir to the throne. Even without Charles’ involvement, it could cast a harsh spotlight on the aggressive methods of the prince’s lieutenants.
For the 95-year-old Queen, the threat to Charles is, in some ways, an even bigger headache than Andrew’s shame. With her own recent health issues and her platinum jubilee celebrations looming, she has decided to put the family’s affairs in order. She said recently, for example, that when Charles takes the throne, his wife, Camilla, should be known as Queen.
But this week served as a reminder of its fragility. Asked by two visitors to Windsor Castle on Wednesday how she was doing, the Queen, smiling and clutching a cane, gestured to her legs and said: “Well, as you see, I can’t to move.”
“Time is running out,” said Peter Hunt, a former BBC royal correspondent. “They are desperately trying to clear the way for Charles. Now on that path suddenly finds himself dotted with Michael Fawcett.