In 2019, a woman Mr. Skibicki was married to filed for a protective order against him. In court filings, she alleged a pattern of abuse in their relationship, including him monitoring her phone use, not allowing her to leave his apartment, and forcing her to take medication at night and engage in “non-consensual sex”.
Mr. Skibicki appeared in court in Winnipeg on Friday wearing a gray t-shirt with a ripped hem and matching gray pants. He had a shaved head and wore a long unkempt goatee.
Mr Skibicki’s lawyer, Leonard Tailleur, said in an email that his client would “plead not guilty to all charges and look forward to trial in the future”.
Police believe Ms Contois, 24, was the last woman to be killed. His remains were found May 16 in a dumpster behind an apartment building in Winnipeg. Mr. Skibicki was arrested two days later.
Another woman, Morgan Beatrice Harris, 39, was killed around May 1, and a third, Marcedes Myran, 26, was killed around May 4, authorities said. Both victims were from Long Plain First Nation, a reserve about 55 miles west of Winnipeg, and both had previously been reported to police as missing.
A fourth unidentified victim is believed to have been in her twenties and was the first female missing. Police released an image of a black jacket similar to the one she was wearing at the time of her disappearance, in a bid to seek advice from the public on who she might be.
“As a city, we all need to mourn their loss and recognize that we still have a lot of work to do, more work to do to protect the lives of Indigenous women and girls,” Mayor Scott Gillingham told reporters. from Winnipeg.