The government’s plan to require people to prove their double vaccination when entering nightclubs and other “crowded places” from the end of September has been condemned as “utter chaos”.
Boris Johnson revealed on Monday that in two months, those who wish to enter places where a large number of people gather in England will have to have received two coronavirus blows.
And the Minister of Vaccines Nadhim Zahawi clarified that a negative coronavirus test “will not be enough” to enter nightclubs.
COVID updates live from UK and around the world
But the announcement, which came 17 hours after nightclubs were able to open for the first time since March 2020, has been heavily criticized by the entertainment industry.
Michael Kill, chief executive of the Night Time Industries Association, said: “The Prime Minister’s announcement that COVID passports will be made mandatory for nightclubs in September comes after his health secretary said only a few months ago. a week that they would not be mandatory. an absolute mess.
“Leaving aside the fact that this is another chaotic U-turn that will leave clubs that have been planning to reopen for months, they will now have to make more changes to the way they operate – c is always a bad idea. “
Sacha Lord, night economics advisor for Greater Manchester, said the whole industry had been “taken by surprise”.
And Peter Marks, managing director of nightclub operator Rekom UK, told Sky News its sites “won’t require” people to be double-bitten or “to have no one on the line. interior “.
“Young clients represent 95% of our clients – they will not be fully immunized [by September]. We will not demand them, otherwise we will have no one, “he said.
While UK music industry body LIVE has said small concert halls should be treated the same as similarly sized bars and restaurants.
On Monday evening, the government also announced that a “very small number” of “critical workers“Who are in contact with a positive coronavirus case will be exempt from self-isolation to go to work.
Speaking virtually at a press briefing in Downing Street from self-isolation at Checkers, the prime minister confirmed that the exemption would apply to “fully vaccinated critical workers,” including staff in hospitals and nursing homes, those in key positions in transport and those involved in food production.
He added that they cannot leave their isolation period only for business purposes and if they are positive they should quarantine themselves for 10 days as usual.
Speaking to the Commons, Zahawi added that members of the police will also be included.
The move, described as a “sensible and pragmatic approach” by the Vaccines Minister, comes as recent figures show more than half a million people in England and Wales have been “stung” by the ‘application in the week to July 7, which was an increase of almost 50% from the previous week.
Follow the Daily podcast on Apple podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Streamer
But the Prime Minister said the NHS coronavirus application would not be fine-tuned to decrease its sensitivity despite the growing number of people in isolation.
“I’m afraid at this point it’s just a consequence of living with COVID and opening up when cases are high as we are,” he said.
Elsewhere, the government also revealed that it would take up the recommendation of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunization (JVCI) that children “At increased risk of serious COVID-19 disease” should be offered a vaccine against the coronavirus.
This means that children aged 12 to 15 with severe neurological conditions, Down’s syndrome, immunosuppression, and multiple or severe learning disabilities will be offered the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine – which has been approved for use on this age group by medication and health. Product Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
Children of the same age group who live with an immunocompromised person will also be offered the vaccine, Zahawi said.
But the government will not offer all healthy teens a coronavirus vaccine just yet because JVCI does not advise it.
Newly appointed Health Secretary Sajid Javid said JVCI “will consider whether to recommend vaccination of under 18s without underlying health problems at a future date.”
It came as the latest government figures showed the UK recorded 39,950 new COVID cases and 19 other coronavirus-related deaths in the last 24-hour period.
Meanwhile, another 18,186 people had their first jab on Sunday, bringing the UK total to 46,314,039.
And another 128,878 had their second vaccine yesterday, which means 36,099,727 are now fully vaccinated.