USA News

breaking news YouTube removes videos from Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro’s channel for COVID-19 disinformation

breaking news

YouTube deleted a number of videos from the channel owned by Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on Wednesday for broadcasting misinformation about the coronavirus, the tech giant said in a statement.

“After careful consideration, we have removed videos from Jair Bolsonaro’s channel for violating our COVID-19 medical disinformation policies,” the company said. “Our policies do not allow content that claims hydroxychloroquine and / or ivermectin is effective in treating or preventing COVID-19, claims there is a guaranteed cure for COVID-19, and claims masks do not work to prevent the spread of the virus. This is in accordance with guidelines from local and global health authorities, and we are updating our policies as guidelines change. “

YouTube said it enforced its policies equally on its platform and removed the videos regardless of political ideology or Bolsonaro’s work.

Bolsonaro’s YouTube channel has over 3 million subscribers and he uses it to host a weekly program where he answers viewers’ questions. He regularly speaks of his doubts about the severity of COVID-19, his belief in the effectiveness of unproven or disproved treatments, and his contempt for stay-at-home orders.

Brazil has experienced one of the largest and deadliest coronavirus outbreaks in the world, and its far-right president has come under fire for his handling of the crisis. In April, Brazil’s congress launched an investigation into its response to the pandemic.

Last year, Facebook and Twitter deleted Bolsonaro’s posts where he criticized social distancing measures and promoted bogus cures for COVID-19.

.



Source link

Back to top button