Trupanion reviews at a glance
Your pet is your BFF. So we understand why you might want the best pet insurance out there. Check out Benzinga’s Trupanion review to learn more about what this company can offer you and your furry companions.
Trupanion policies on extended coverage for cats and dogs. One plan will cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses your pet encounters while covered by the policy.
A Trupanion plan covers:
- Congenital conditions: A congenital disease is a disease present at the birth of your animal. A congenital condition may include heart disease, nervous system problems, cataracts, liver disease, or another condition diagnosed by your veterinarian.
- Diagnostic tests: If your pet goes to the vet and your vet decides they need to perform diagnostic tests, Trupanion has them covered. Diagnostic tests may include blood tests, X-rays, MRIs, and other tests ordered by your veterinarian.
- Hereditary conditions: Certain breeds are susceptible to inheriting certain conditions or inherited conditions. For example, some breeds like German Shepherds are prone to hip dysplasia. Other inherited diseases can include diabetes, upper respiratory tract infections, and thyroid disease. Your veterinarian should be aware of any inherited diseases your pet may be prone to. Talk to your veterinarian about these inherited conditions and the symptoms you should watch out for.
- Diseases: Your pet will be fully covered for any new illnesses they may encounter. This coverage extends to major and minor illnesses. For example, you can expect the same level of coverage for a simple UTI and for a more serious condition like cancer.
- Injuries: Let’s say your pet is injured due to an unforeseen circumstance – you can expect Trupanion to cover it.
- Medications and supplements: Your veterinarian may prescribe medications or supplements if your pet has an illness that requires ongoing treatment. Trupanion will cover these prescriptions if these items are used to treat a covered condition.
- Unidentified issues: Trupanion will also cover your pet if your furry friend has an unidentified problem. This means that your pet will be covered for veterinary visits for these issues, even if there is no official diagnosis. Unidentified issues may include digestive issues such as vomiting and diarrhea, coughing, and change in your pet’s weight.
Trupanion also offers additional coverage to complement its base policies, including:
- Pet Owner Assistance Package: This package can help cover some of your pet’s expenses outside of medical services. It gives you coverage for advertising costs and rewards costs if your pet goes missing. It can also offer liability coverage if your pet causes property damage to third parties. Let’s say you are hospitalized – this will also cover boarding costs for your pet until you are discharged from hospital. This package also includes coverage for cremation or burial costs if your pet dies as a result of an accident.
- Recovery and Additional Care Rider: This endorsement provides additional coverage for your pet for services that may not be covered by Trupanion’s basic insurance plans. It covers other procedures such as acupuncture, behavior modification, chiropractic care, homeopathy, hydrotherapy, naturopathy, physiotherapy, and rehabilitation therapy. Let’s say your pet suffers from a condition such as anxiety or joint problems – this jumper may be a good option for you.
In which states can you get Trupanion pet insurance?
Trupanion pet insurance is available in all 50 states.
What pets does Trupanion cover?
Trupanion offers pet insurance policies for the 2 most common types of pets in American households – cats and dogs.
Trupanion offers comprehensive insurance policies for cats and dogs of all sizes, breeds and ages. The cost of policing your cat or dog will depend on their age, breed, gender and the cost of veterinary care where you live. You can expect a waiting period of 5 days for injuries and 30 days for illnesses.
The premium you can expect to pay for your pet’s insurance policy will vary depending on factors such as its age, breed, and the deductible you choose. Here are some examples of monthly premiums for pets of different species, breeds and ages.
These rates only cover one zip code in Dallas, TX, but they give you an idea of what you could pay when you choose Trupanion. Keep in mind that you can choose deductibles in $5 increments and your pet is perpetually priced at the age it was when you purchased coverage.
|Cat: Domestic Long Hair — 1 year||$200 deductible plan||$45.38 per month|
|Cat: Domestic Long Hair — 5 years||$200 deductible plan||$65.82 per month|
|Cat: Domestic Short Hair — 1 year||$200 deductible plan||$45.38 per month|
|Cat: Domestic Shorthair — 5 years||$200 deductible plan||$65.82 per month|
|Dog: Labrador retriever — 1 year||$200 deductible plan||$128.65 per month|
|Dog: Labrador retriever — 5 years old||$200 deductible plan||$201.02 per month|
|Dog: German Shepherd — 1 year||$200 deductible plan||$130.60 per month|
Unlike your health insurance, pet insurance works through a claims and reimbursement process. Each time you visit the vet or receive a bill for another covered expense, you must begin the claims process.
Trupanion’s claims process includes:
- Submission: Submit your claim via the online form to Trupanion or email your invoice and claim form to Claims@Trupanion.com. You will need to submit your pet’s name, name, phone number, and email address, along with an itemized bill from your veterinarian. Include the name of your vet, the name of the vet who treated your pet, and a summary of why your pet needed to visit the vet.
Select veterinary practices partner with Trupanion to offer Vet Direct Pay. If your veterinarian participates, he will be able to submit your complaint on your behalf.
- Exam: Once you submit your claim, Trupanion will work with your veterinary practice to collect your pet’s medical records. Your claim will then be reviewed by a Trupanion Claims Specialist. The Claims Specialist will review your pet’s medical records, your policy notes and claim information to determine if your claim is eligible.
- Closing: Once the Claims Specialist determines the eligibility of your claim, it will be marked as closed. You will receive an email explaining the decision and a detailed breakdown of your complaint. If your claim is eligible and you have already paid your deductible, you will be reimbursed for veterinary expenses. If your veterinarian accepts Vet Direct Pay, Trupanion will pay them directly. Otherwise, the money will be deposited into your bank account or you will receive a check in the mail.
Here are a few different ways to get your hands on Trupanion:
- Trupanion’s customer service team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- You can call Trupanion toll-free at 1-888-733-2685.
- You can also email the customer care team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Is Trupanion right for you?
There are a few things that set Trupanion apart from other companies, just in case you’re wondering if you’ve discovered the best:
- Vet Direct Pay lets you visit the vet without paying out of pocket for covered services.
- Trupanion’s additional coverage options can provide more comprehensive coverage for your pet.
This Trupanion review explains how the platform works, but if you have specific questions, you can contact Trupanion for assistance.
questions and answers
How do I file a complaint with Trupanion?
Trupanion Pet Insurance requires you to pay at the vet and submit your receipts. You will be reimbursed according to the parameters of your policy.
Does Trupanion cover pre-existing conditions?
Trupanion does not cover pre-existing conditions.
What is the waiting period for Trupanion?
Trupanion has a 5 day waiting period for injuries and a 30 day waiting period for illnesses to your pet.