NASDAQ leading the way
Major indices are highest in early US trading The NASDAQ index is leading the way. The Dow and S&P lagged behind, but still higher:
- The Dow Industrial Average rose 52 points or 0.15% to 34,430.50
- The S&P index rises 14.3 points or 0.33% to 4,365.21
- NASDAQ Index rises 93 points or 0.65% to 14,559.44
In other markets as US operations begin:
- Spot gold rose $ 14.34 or 0.8% to $ 1,773.90
- Spot silver rose $ 0.33 or 1.48% $ 22.88
- WTI Crude Oil Futures down $ -0.82 to $ 79.82
- The price of bitcoin is down $ 858 and $ 55,136
In the forex market, price action is ignoring the CPI data. The initial reaction was for the dollar to rise. Now the dollar is moving to new lows on the day against the EUR, GBP, JPY, CHF and AUD. The USD is also below its lows against the NZD. The GBP is the strongest of the majors.
US rates rose immediately after the CPI data, but have since reversed lower. The 30-year yield is now down -5.5 basis points to 2.05%. It hits the maximum daily yield of 2.107% before turning back down. The 10-year yield is down -3.8 basis points to 1.5420%. It reaches the maximum daily yield of 1.602% before retreating to the downside.