USA News

breaking news Dozens of COVID cases linked to the Tokyo Olympics

breaking news

Tokyo – There are more problems for the troubled Tokyo Olympics. The director of the opening ceremonies was fired just hours before the start of the show. And despite reports that the Games could be canceled, officials said they are “currently proceeding as planned.”

United States team Simone Bilès trained with none of the usual spectators in place on Thursday due to COVID restrictions. While she was mostly successful in holding her landings, Biles said she didn’t know how she would fare in real competition without the energy of a live crowd.

There is more than 90 cases of COVID in people linked to the Games. American volleyball player Taylor Crabb and four other American athletes have been ruled out by positive COVID tests.

“After taking all the precautions, being vaccinated and following the protocols, I tested positive for COVID-19,” Crabb announced on Instagram on Thursday. “I’m symptom-free, thankfully, but deeply disappointed that I can’t join Jake on the sand and compete as a member of the United States squad. I have faced adversity before and will face it. new, but it doesn’t. don’t take the sting out of the situation. “

Meanwhile, the first lady Jill biden arrived in Tokyo ahead of Friday’s opening ceremony, as the city recorded another round of nearly 2,000 new daily cases alone – a six-month record.

Tokyo Olympics 2020
A technician takes a break near the Olympic rings while working at Ariake Urban Sports Park on July 22, 2021 in Tokyo.

Carl Court / Getty


But the virus in circulation is not the only problem at these Games. As preparations for the opening extravaganza continued, the event’s creative director was immediately returned after a video from a 1998 comedy sketch surfaced in which he mocked the Holocaust. Two other senior Japanese Olympic officials had previously been sent off in separate controversies.

The President of the Olympic Organizing Committee, Seiko Hashimoto, on Thursday expressed his “sincere apologies for the inconvenience and concern this situation has caused to many involved”.

New York Times Tokyo bureau chief Motoko Rich covered the scandals.

“The organizers are probably hoping, like ‘yes, yes, to win some medals so that we can distract from all these scandals,'” said Rich.

CBS News has learned that USA Gymnastics has decided to stay in its own hotel rather than moving to the Olympic village. A spokesperson for the team said that had always been the plan.

.



Source link

Back to top button