Europe News

Brazil: Jair Bolsonaro would have conceded his electoral defeat in the midst of serious unrest


Brazil’s incumbent President Jair Bolsonaro appears to have accepted electoral defeat, telling members of the Supreme Court that “it’s over”.

This is after the incumbent president went silent for almost two days after Sunday’s vote – before failing to explicitly concede defeat at a press conference on Tuesday.

After a private meeting with Bolsonaro, Supreme Court Justice Luiz Edson Fachin said the conservative leader admitted “it’s over. So let’s look ahead.” local media.

Meanwhile, thousands of pro-Bolsonaro protesters gathered at the gates of army barracks across Brazil on Wednesday demanding federal intervention to prevent leftist Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva from coming to power.

Since then, tensions have skyrocketed in Bolsonaro’s strongholds. His supporters have urged the military to intervene, and many have blocked highways after months of allegations of fraud in Brazil’s electoral system.

In Sao Paulo, thousands of Bolsonarists demonstrated outside the military headquarters, while a similar demonstration in Brasilia also brought together thousands of demonstrators, some of whom were said to have called for “civil resistance”.

euronews Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button