Bishop Sycamore head coach Roy Johnson was absent after it was revealed that there was an active arrest warrant and that he was facing a civil lawsuit for alleged fraud as well as a strangulation, 58-0, in a game on Sunday.
Andre Peterson, who is the school’s founding principal, as well as an assistant coach, told USA Today on Tuesday that Johnson is no longer with the team.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
Peterson said he made the decision after the IMG Academy game on Sunday, but wanted to wait to have another conversation with Johnson before making the split final.
The Ohio school had been criticized after appearing to trick a marketing agency into putting them in a spotlight game against IMG Academy. According to the Columbus Dispatch, Paragon Marketing Group planned to kick off football at GEICO ESPN High School, not ESPN.
“We regret that this has happened and have discussed it with Paragon, who provided the game and manages the majority of the programming for our high school events,” ESPN said in a statement. “They assured us that they would take measures to prevent this kind of situation from happening in the future.”
Paragon chairman Rashid Ghazi told Awful Annoncing he wished he had done more research on Bishop Sycamore ahead of the game and said the organization was unaware the team played on Friday night as well.
HEAD COACH BISHOP SYCOMORE FACING AN ACTIVE MANDATE, CIVIL PROSECUTIONS APPLY
According to Awful Announcing, ESPN said it expressed concerns about Bishop Sycamore when they could not find any information about the school. Bishop Sycamore reportedly bailed out a conference call and provided a briefing sheet ahead of Sunday’s game claiming some of their players had been drafted by Division I schools.
Peterson rebuffed allegations the school was a “scam.”
“There is nothing that I got out of that that would constitute it as a scam because I don’t earn anything financially from what we do. The reality is that I have a son (Javan) who is also in the program and has been in the program for four years, ”he said.
“If this is a scam and the kids don’t go to school and do what they’re supposed to do, then I’m literally getting ripped off. And most importantly, I’m hurting my own son. So when people say things like that… I would literally take my son’s future and throw it in the trash. “
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Bishop Sycamore still had a full schedule of remaining games for the fall. However, one of those opponents, DeMatha Catholic, withdrew, according to USA Today.