Sport

Australian Open: Tennys Sandgren cleared to board despite testing positive for coronavirus | Tennis News


Tennys Sandgren, world No. 50, tested positive for the first time in November and organizers of the Australian Open tournament say people “non-infectious can continue to spread the virus for several months”; Delayed Grand Slam kicks off on February 8

Last updated: 01/14/21 8:06 am

Tennys Sandgren reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open last year

US tennis player Tennys Sandgren has been cleared to board a chartered flight to the Australian Open despite testing positive for coronavirus.

Sandgren, a quarter-finalist at Melbourne Park last year and in 2018, initially suggested in a series of tweets that he could not travel, writing “Covid positive on Thanksgiving” and “Covid positive on Monday”.

However, he then said he was able to board the flight from Los Angeles on Wednesday, carrying other players and coaching staff to the first Grand Slam of the year, and described the tournament director of the ‘Australian Open Craig Tiley as a “wizard”.

“Wait, I think they’re trying to hook me up 15 minutes after the plane leaves … my bags still haven’t checked in lol,” he wrote on Twitter.

“Wow, I’m on the plane. Maybe I just held my breath for too long.

Sandgren, who questioned the reliability of the PCR tests, then tweeted that he was “totally healthy”.

“My two tests were less than 8 weeks apart. I was sick in November, in perfect health now,” he added.

“There is not a single documented case where I would be contagious at this point.”

The Australian Open suggested that Victorian health authorities had given Sandgren, world No. 50, clearance to fly.

“Some people who have recovered from COVID-19 and who are not infectious may continue to spread the virus for several months,” the tournament’s official Twitter account said.

“Victorian government public health experts assess each case on the basis of additional detailed medical records to ensure they are not infectious before checking in on charter flights.

“Players and their teams are tested every day upon arrival in Australia, a much stricter process than anyone else in hotel quarantine.”

Some 1,200 players and coaching staff are expected to start arriving from Thursday for the tournament, which runs February 8-21, on 15 charter flights.

Players will be quarantined for two weeks before they can participate in the warm-up events at Melbourne Park from January 31.

They will only be allowed to leave their hotel rooms for five hours a day to attend the Australian Open bubble training venues.





Source link

Back to top button