Skip to content


Travis Scott at the Astroworld 2021 festival.Erika Goldring / WireImage / Getty

  • At least 7 of the 10 deceased Astroworld participants were in the same area, according to the Washington Post.

  • An investigation by the outlet revealed that the section in the southern quadrant was closed on three sides.

  • Crowd experts said the barricades surrounding the quadrant allowed little movement in the area.

At least seven of the 10 spectators who died in an overwhelming crowd surge at Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival earlier this month were standing in the same small area, according to a Washington Post investigation.

The outlet reviewed several videos of the scene and spoke with witnesses and crowd experts to determine the whereabouts of several of the victims when chaos erupted during Scott’s performance in Houston.

Ten people died during the November 5 concert and dozens more were injured. A criminal investigation into the incident is underway and the causes of death of the victims have not yet been disclosed.

The Post’s investigation found that at least seven of the victims were in the same section, which was closed on three sides by metal barriers. The section became dangerously crowded when Scott took the stage, turning the pocket into a crisis center.

The section was an observation area in the southern quadrant of the site, The Post found, where several witnesses said people began to collapse as pressure mounted in the crowds.

Three of the deceased spectators were said to have appeared unconscious in a witness video obtained by the media outlet, as a bunch of other fans fell in the southern quadrant. The video was only taken 16 minutes after the show began, which continued for nearly an hour, the newspaper reported.

Just three minutes into Scott’s filming began, parts of the compressed section were only 1.85 square feet per person, according to Carnegie Mellon University analysis for The Post, which would have posed an immediate risk. that the crowd collapses on itself.

Viewers began to crowd around the main stage hours before the rapper started performing, The Post found out, and when a separate performance ended on a nearby stage, an influx of people coming on. the main stage increased the pressure in the closed area of ​​the southern quadrant.

Crowd experts told the newspaper that the metal barricades surrounding the quadrant allowed little movement in the area and played a role in density issues as people already positioned in the area lost the ability to exit.

According to the Post’s review, people started screaming just five minutes after the show started as attendees began to fight for space. It only took 16 minutes after Scott’s performance started before someone collapsed in the crowd, but the festival was not declared a mass event until almost 50 minutes after the start of the spectacle. The entire show lasted 72 minutes in total, according to the newspaper.

Representatives for Scott did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment. Neither Live Nation, the company behind the festival, nor Scoremore, the event’s organizer, responded to Insider’s request for comment either.

The seven victims confirmed by The Post in the southern quadrant were Madison Dubiski, Axel Acosta, Ezra Blount, Jacob Jurinek, Franco Patino, Danish Baig and Rodolfo Angel Peña.

In a video after the concert, Scott said he stopped the show as soon as he noticed something was wrong.

Read the original article on Insider


yahoo-skynews Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.