Skip to content
Alec Baldwin hands over the phone to Rust shooting investigators

Alec Baldwin turned his phone over to officials investigating the fatal shooting on the set of the movie in New Mexico Rust in October, the actor’s attorney and law enforcement said Friday.

A search warrant for Baldwin’s iPhone was issued in December, but the Sante Fe County Sheriff’s Office in New Mexico said earlier this week it was still trying to obtain the device from the 30 Rock actor.

Aaron Dyer, an attorney for Baldwin, confirmed that the actor provided authorities with his phone on Friday.

“But this case is not about his phone, and there are no answers on his phone. Alec did nothing wrong,” Dyer said in a statement.

“The real question that needs to be answered is how the live rounds got to the set in the first place,” he added.

Sheriff’s Department spokesman Juan Rios said via email that Baldwin’s phone had been turned over to authorities in Suffolk County, New York, who were in the process of downloading relevant data to send to investigators. from Santa Fe.

Baldwin was rehearsing a scene on the set of the western Rust when the gun he was holding fired a live round that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. The actor said he didn’t pull the trigger and was heartbroken by the incident.

New Mexico authorities have not ruled out the possibility that he faces criminal charges in the shooting, but the sheriff’s office admitted it was too early to say whether charges were warranted as the investigation continues.

In a revealing interview last month, the 63-year-old actor said he had no idea there was a live ammunition in the gun he was carrying while filming the movie. Rust, or while he was practicing aiming.

Speaking to ABC News, Baldwin said Hutchins, the film’s cinematographer, told him to point the gun in his direction, somewhere he said was “just below his armpit.”

“I said to him, ‘In this scene, I’m going to cock the gun, you want to see that,'” Baldwin said. He said Hutchins told him to cock the gun.

“I drop the hammer and the gun goes off. I never pulled the trigger,” he said.

The search warrant authorized investigators to seize Baldwin’s phone in order to examine text messages, emails, social media communications, browser activity and other information stored on the device, according to court documents.

Baldwin said last week that any suggestion he was not complying with the investigation was “bulls**t” and “a lie”.

He wrote on Instagram that specifying exactly what is needed is a timely process, adding, “They can’t just go through your phone and take your pictures, or your love letters to your wife, or whatever. ‘other.


The Independent Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.