The rest of the show was halted as the injured dancers, who were performing alongside the band, were taken to hospital. Several members of the public were reportedly treated for shock.
The town’s new chief executive, John Lee, said he was “shocked…I express my sympathy to those who have been injured and hope they recover soon.”
Hong Kong authorities have launched an investigation and said they had been in contact with organizers to discuss security the day before the incident. The city’s Culture, Sports and Tourism Secretary Kevin Yeung Yun-hung said Friday that initial findings indicated a metal suspension cord had snapped, according to local media.
Concerns were raised over Mirror’s 12-concert series at the Hong Kong Coliseum earlier this week after a performer fell from the stage – although he was not seriously injured. Soon after, a petition calling for increased security measures for the band’s shows garnered over 13,000 signatures.
Concert organizer MakerVille said in a statement that all remaining shows would be canceled. Refunds will also be given to those who attended the Mirror performance on July 28.
The hugely popular boyband was created through a reality TV show in 2018 and has been credited with reviving Cantopop and brightening up the city, which in recent years has seen heightened tensions with mainland China and mass protests, in addition to the coronavirus pandemic.