Skip to content
16-year-old boy arrested for alleged plot to attack local school


A 16-year-old student has been arrested in Germany for allegedly planning a bomb attack on a local school.

City of Essen police said they searched the suspect’s apartment overnight and found spears, other edged weapons and bomb-making materials.

The student is suspected of plotting an attack on the Don-Bosco-Gymnasium – the school he currently attends – or another local school he was previously enrolled in, the Realschule am Schloss Borbeck.

Both schools were closed on Thursday due to police operations, a statement Lily.

Don-Bosco-Gymnasium said on its website that they had “received indications that a crime was being planned at the school”.

Thomas Kutschaty, the parliamentary leader of the centre-left SPD, said reports of the alleged plot had “deeply shocked” him.

“It is probably thanks to the high level of civil courage and the courageous intervention of the police that nothing happened to teachers, pupils and students,” he said. added on Twitter.

“The police probably prevented a nightmare,” added Herbert Reul, the interior minister of the regional state of North Rhine-Westphalia.

Reul told reporters authorities acted on a tip-off and launched a large-scale operation involving 123 officers.

Police had also recovered documents containing “racist, anti-Semitic and anti-Muslim thoughts”, but Reul pointed out that the suspect suffered from “psychiatric disorders” with “suicidal” tendencies.

The suspect remains in custody.



euronews Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.